Thursday, May 5, 2011

Follow up with Dr. Hema

Last week I had a follow up CT scan and blood tests. Yesterday, May 4, I met with Dr. Hema. The results are very, very good. In January, my M-spike number was 0.21. Now it is 0.18! It continues to trend down towards zero, the reading for a person with no lymphoma cells at all in their system. For comparison, the M-spike was 0.30 one year ago.

My IgM number is now 180, which is in the normal range! One year ago, it was 359, having fallen from its high of over 5,000.

Dr. Hema also read part of the CT scan interpretation. The two areas of enlarged lymph glands have decreased in size. The report quoted the size in centimeters; the best I could determine, it sounds like they have decreased by about 1/3.

All of this points to continuing steady improvement. I asked Dr. Hema if anyone was ever cured completely from my particular lymphoma: lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma. He said that lots of cases go many years without a recurrence; five or ten years and more. Obviously, if a person is 68 years old and goes more than ten years without a recurrence, he might as well consider himself cured.

My adorable wife and I are very happy. We celebrated by putting the top down on the convertible and enjoying a very nice, leisurely lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Two words: Awe. Some.

    =c )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!! Hubby and I are SO HAPPY!!!!!

    We pray that your readings continue to get better, and that you are, indeed, cured.

    Love, Meemaw & Hubby

    ReplyDelete