Sunday, November 24, 2019

A decision is made.

My adorable wife and I have been discussing my treatment options. She is included in the decision because she has been by my side supporting me throughout this ordeal; not just the recent onset of symptoms, but right from the beginning, some ten years ago. Whatever is decided, therefor, involves her as well.

I was given two practical options by the doctor. First, an oral medication taken once per day for life. The medication is very expensive and my cost, even after insurance, would be quite high.

The second is an infusion done on two successive days once every four weeks for six cycles totaling 24 weeks. Once the treatment is done, I will be finished, done, released, free at last, until and unless my M-spike, IgM, anemia, weight loss, et al return. When I had the same drugs previously, I was symptom-free for about ten years.

The infusion therapy is covered by Medicare as treatment rather than a drug. The ultimate cost to me would be relatively low and, of course, paid for in 24 weeks.

The infusion therapy uses the same drugs that I had previously. I suffered very uncomfortable side-effects as you know if you re-read the earliest entries in my blog..

I have decided, all things considered, to undertake infusion. I will communicate my decision with the doctor’s very helpful patient navigator tomorrow.

I accept that I am trading off possibly worse side-effects for one and done.

I don’t yet know of course, if I will start treatments immediately or after the holidays. I will post when I know.

2 comments:

  1. I support your decision and will do what I can to be there for you and of course for Sylvia. Love always to my friends! -Dana

    ReplyDelete