Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Calling Nurse K....

Last Monday, I had my mid-month blood tests, including the very informative M-spike reading. Because Dr. Hema's office is 45 minutes away, my local doctor's office, about seven minutes away, does the test and faxes the result to Dr. Hema. After evaluation, I am telephoned with the result.

As you may recall, a patient in remission should have an M-spike reading of zero. Several months ago, mine was 2.0 and after the rituxan treatments, it actually rose to 3.16. Of course, I am anxious to see what effect the fludarabine treatment is having. We all hope that the tide has turned and the numbers are trending back down towards zero.

I am realistic enough to realize that it is unlikely that I will take a treatment and suddenly be completely cured; cue the rainbow and break out the champagne. I believe every cancer patient, including me, has ups and downs. While I hope for the best and greatest test results ever known in all of medical history, I fully realize that sometimes the news will be good and sometimes it will be less good.

I am on the edge of my chair waiting for the telephone to ring and hear some hopefully good news from Nurse K.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm praying that it is closer to zero than ever!!!!! Everyone is praying for you and we're all anxiously awaiting the new readings!

    We love you very much!

    Meemaw & Hubby

    ReplyDelete