Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Summer follow-up

As I have previously reported, Dr. Hema2 has retired and he referred me to another oncologist who shall be referred to as Dr. M. I met with Dr. M for my usual semi-annual follow-up visit.

I have also reported to you that my essential numbers, IgM and M-spike, continue to creep up. This visit shows the same. Dr. M reports that the M-spike has risen to 0.7 which he classifies as insignificant. However, the IgM number is now about 1200. The expected normal reading is 37-286. An elevated IgM suggests that the immune system is busy fighting an invasion.

Just for reference, when my disease was first discovered, my IgM was an astounding 5,120!

Because of this, Dr. M suggested that we schedule a follow-up visit in three months, rather that the usual six, and take another look at the trend.

Dr. M reported what I consider to be excellent news! He reports that a new, more effective treatment has been released specific to my particular and rare lymphoma. Better yet, it is an oral medication. No half-day visits to the infusion room are required! Woo hoo! It is comforting to know that, as my disease progresses, as we've always known it would, that treatment is now available that is both more effective and easier to tolerate.

My adorable wife and I enjoyed a nice lunch conveniently near the doctor's office with some comfort that any future treatments will likely be easier and more effective than the previous infusions. We will go on a long vacation prior to our next visit and enjoy life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment