Thursday, December 12, 2019

Fever! I got a fever.

Last evening, after we had returned from the infusion room, I felt a little flush and decided to lay on my bed and read. As I went to the bedroom, I felt chills although I was dressed warmly and the house is heated. As the thermometer was on the bedside table, I decided to take my temperature. It was a surprising 100.7. I checked again in thirty minutes and it was 100.9. By 10:00 pm, it was 101.

After Infusion 2 of Round 1, I had been asked to report to the Emergency Room if my temperature exceeded 100.4. Although that didn't happen after Infusion 2, I decided to visit the ER nonetheless. Upon arriving at the ER, my temperature was 102.2 and my blood pressure was an eye-opening 105/44. Yikes!

The nurses and doctor at the ER tested everything; blood, urine, x-rays and then blood again! I was given Motrin and an intravenous drip of, I assume, saline solution, and was told that they'd need to call the hematologist for instructions. After quite a delay, and checking my temperature and seeing it at more or less normal, I was released.

I had hoped that there would be fewer and less severe side effects in this round of chemotherapy. I hope this will be the last of it, at least until Round 2 in January.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dear.....A fever is your body's response to do away with a virus or bacteria, am I correct? Is you body trying to attack the chemo when you get a fever? ....I too hope that for the rest of this time between your next infusion, you will be feeling if not Good, at least "good enough" ...right?

    ReplyDelete