Monday, January 4, 2010

Back in the recliner again!

Today I started round three of six rounds of chemo. As usual, the process starts with fairly extensive blood tests to determine my progress, or lack, before the infusion begins. Dr. Hema then discusses the results with me and pokes and prods a bit before I am sent back to begin infusion. Dr. Hema came in the examining room with my file and a huge grin on his face! He said my hemoglobin is now 13.3. The normal range, according to his in-house lab, is in the range from 14 to 18. This is an improvement from just two weeks ago, when it was 12.7. All this suggests that the lymphoma is declining and normal health is gaining! We are all very encouraged.

He expressed regret that we went through the difficult and lengthy rituxan process for no improvement. I told him that, in my family (think of dear Uncle R), we believe that if we knew then what we know now, we'd have bought Google at $80. In other words, one almost never knows the right decision six months in advance. We must take our best shot and move forward. We do know that no-one ever gets healthy, or wealthy, by waiting and waiting until all the facts are in. Procrastination never stops cancer.

I feel great!

Today's weight: 177.5. I have resolved to strictly moderate my gluttony right after I finish my fried chicken dinner Wednesday night! That is about twenty pounds (!) gained since we went to Cape Cod in August. If I gain twenty pounds every six months, I expect that Discovery Channel will come knocking, asking if I will star in a new reality program, "Half-ton Grampa."

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME NEWS! What a great way to begin 2010!

    XO,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!!!! That's the best news I've heard this year!! (and will probably top the list of all-time good news!!!)

    We're so happy for you, and love you very much.
    Meemaw & Hubby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill

    So glad to hear that things are going better. Still with the comedy lines too. I am so impressed.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete