Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Treatment room II


About 12:00pm, I experienced a beet-red face and extreme anxiety. I also felt that I could be nauseated if I just let myself think about it. Of course, if you try not to think about something, that's all you can think about, so off I went to the restroom, dragging my pump behind me. I was not sick.

Nurses, physician's assistants and Dr. Hema appeared just about instantly. They stopped the rituxan and started a medication to counteract nausea. After thirty minutes or so, when I was feeling much better, they restarted the rituxan at a very slow flow rate. They now seem to think that I will not be able to get the entire dose of rituxan infused today, since it is being administered so slowly, so that I will have to come back tomorrow. After all, these people have lives, spouses, children, etc. and like to go home at a decent hour.

I am hooked to a blood pressure cuff and pulse oximeter (see photo, used to check oxygen saturation in the blood) all the time. My vital signs are checked frequently. So far, they are fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment